Pages

Subtraction Splash!

I love this time of year as the weather warms up, the stores start to stock up for summer time, and my students are rocking out on their math skills!

I created this fun game to help introduce the concept of taking away in preparation for our subtraction unit!

Subtraction Splash!
I have my students start with 10 or 20 game pieces and place them on their mat. Then they choose a number card from the stack and take away that many pieces.

 If they pick a splash card, they have to put all of their game pieces back in the pile. They play until someone gets rid of all his/her game pieces.

They absolutely love this game and it really helps them understand the concept of "taking away".
You can pick up this freebie in my TpT store and check out the other fun summer themed games I have available!
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! My class is working on subtraction so this will be perfect!

    Sunflower Inspirations

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a wonderful game!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great subtraction practice for my kids. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous idea as usual! What a great concrete way to practice subtraction. And I'm sure my kiddos would love those pom pom balls! :)

    Sarah
    Sarah's First Grade Snippets

    ReplyDelete